I sat by the bedside, my head in my
heads, my heart open, and my mouth speaking prayers of desperation. What can I
do? I’d give anything to have the power to go back in time to change the past
so that I’d have a future. But I’m left here, my heart laying next to me
clinging to life. Images of our life flashed through my mind. Laughter,
happiness, anger, sadness in one or another; love in all. The first time we met
in the park, our first date at the café by the bookstore, our first fight, the
moment I realized I was in love, the moment I realized I was loved, all of
these memories playing like film in my head. I felt tears well up in my eyes,
my chest started hurting and my head sunk deeper into my lap.
I felt myself falling deeper and
deeper into the abyss. The only thing that roused me was the doctor touching my
shoulder. I looked into her eyes and saw compassion. It was so easy for her to
feel compassion, she wasn’t in my shoes, her heart wasn’t at stake. I stood up
and followed her into the corner of the room. She apologized and shook her
head. There was nothing she could do. There’s nothing anyone could do. The
world around me stilled, I was stuck in a moment, a time in space that I couldn’t
escape. I walked back to the bed, sat down and rested my head on the sheets,
what if’s racing through my mind. What if I never got in the car? What if I
didn’t drive? What if I appreciated what I had more? What if loved more?
Hours passed and nurses and doctors
came in. The machine was unplugged, the beeping slowed down, and silence filled
the room. Each one of them glanced at me, bowed their head as they walked out
as if to resemble grief. I waited until they took the body out. Wrapped it in
plastic and wheeled it to the frozen grave. I sat there and stared at the empty
bed. The warmth that was once there now slowly leaving it. I got up and walked
to the door. Touching the handle I turned back, a sigh escaping my breath, one
last look. I turned off the lights, shut the door and left.
No comments:
Post a Comment