“Please exit to the right.” Eliza
looked over her shoulder before she walked out. The theatre looked larger than
she expected. She started heading off the stage, but as she turned a stage crew
members flashed one of the lights right in her eyes. Blinded by the brightness
of the stage light Eliza lost her footing and stumbled forward into a pile of
wires. This can’t be happening she
thought. She didn’t get any sleep the night before because she was preparing
for her audition. Her performance displayed her exhaustion and coffee induced
alertness, which would have been good if she was auditioning for the role of a
drug addict and not an elegant ballerina. Stupid,
stupid, stupid she couldn’t believe that she screwed up what was supposed
to be her big break. She told herself that it was her fault, her lack of
talent, that she shouldn’t have even tried, but she wanted to be a performer so
desperately.
Eliza
propped herself up on her elbows, but as she tried to push herself up one of
the cords slid out from underneath her and she plopped back down. Great she was flat on her back again. Only place to go is up she shook her
head at the ridiculous saying. When she looked up she saw a hand in front of
her. She grabbed the hand and started getting up, but when she locked eyes with
the owner of the hand her knees began to shake. Deep curious hazel eyes that
dazzled even in the badly lit backstage area. In seconds she was aware of how
awkward she looked, and that her hair was a mess, and that her mouth was wide
open. She snapped her mouth shut and attempted to smile politely, but it came
out more like a dopey grin. She almost slipped back down but he tightened his
gripped, grabbed her elbow and lifted her up. Oh my gosh, he’s so strong. “Thank you” Eliza was at a loss for words,
and breathe.
“No problem” He smiled again. The
corners of his mouth reaching from cheek to cheek, displaying pearly white
teeth and one right dimple. Eliza was dumb struck. She couldn’t move, her feet
felt too heavy. Stop it! She yelled
at herself. You’re still smiling like an
idiot, stop. It’s just a guy, no big deal. So what he was nice to help you up,
and so what he has the cutest dimple ever, and his eyes are just….Snap out of
it Lizzy. Stop staring at him, you’re making this awkward. You are an intelligent,
independent woman stop staring at this man like you’re a middle school girl at
a One Direction concert. Eliza May walk away right this minute!!!
“Are you ok? You fell pretty hard.”
Wait did he just say something. Crap!
What did he say? I have to say something. Or not, I’ll just smile and nod. That
should be fine right?
“That’s good. I was worried that
you might have broken something, especially after you fell the second time.” He was worried about me? Aweee! Maybe I
should say something. What do I say? I can’t sound dumb, but I can’t sound
snobby or like a know-it-all. Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Ummmmmmmmm. I’m drawing a
blank. Crap, he looked away. I have to say something now or he’ll walk away.
Ummmmmmmmm.
“Thanks.” Stupid, stupid, stupid.
“Haha. You’re a talkative person.”
His smile grew larger. How is that
possible?
“Oh, me? No I’m only kind of
talkative. It just depends, I don’t know.” Stupid,
stupid, stupid.
“I’m Andrew by the way.” Andrew. Andy. Or maybe Drew. Maybe AJ, you
know if he has a last name that starts with a J.
“And you are…” Crap! What’s my name? Ummmmmmmmm. Eliza, no Lizzy. Wait which one do I
tell him?
“Elizzy. Or um no. It’s Eliza, but
my friends call me Lizzy.” Andrew chuckled a little. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
“Well, Eliza it’s nice to meet
you.” Call me Lizzy.
“Nice to you to. Or wait no, nice
to meet you too.” Eliza let out one big sigh. She didn’t know what was
happening to her. This guy made her feel like some silly school girl. She was
an adult. A mature adult. “I’m sorry I’m just…”
“Flustered? You seem like it.
Probably from nerves. You just preformed right?”
“Yeah. I did.” But that’s not what cause my nerves, anxiety, but not my nerves.
“I saw a part of it, you’re really
good.”
“Thanks.” Eliza’s heart raced at
the compliment. He saw me! He thought I
was good!
“My friend dragged me to this
thing. I didn’t realize how cool it
could be. Everyone’s performances are so intriguing.” By everyone you mean mine right? Cause that would be just super awesome
if you found me intriguing and not the other people. Like super awesome.
“It is interesting to see
everyone’s take on the performance. Which one’s your friend?” Andrew pointed to
a girl standing in the middle of the stage talking to the director of the show.
“That’s her over there.” Oh. You mean the tall skinny exotic looking
woman, who could make snoring look like a beautiful art form. Great!!! “Yeah
she talked about this for weeks, and then somehow convinced me to go with her.”
“Somehow convinced you” oh I highly doubt
that was a hard thing for her to do. What did she do? Blink? Great!!! How to
get out of here without looking like I feel? Hmmm.
“Exit stage right.” The man over
speaker announced.
“Well it looks like my friends done
too. You should meet her! She loves talking to other performers.” Nope. Nope. Nope. Not in a million years.
NOPE!!!!
“I would love to, but I’m supposed
to meet up with my friend after this.”
“Oh. Ok. Well I understand.” His
smile faded a little, but Eliza didn’t notice. She was so focused on an escape
plan that the only thing in her sight was the bright red exit sign.
“Well I better go, bye.” And like
that Eliza darted in the direction of the door leading outside. She didn’t look
back, she was scarred that Andrew and the super model were already laughing
about how awkward she was. When she stepped outside she slammed the door behind
her. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes. The heat from the day felt
good against her skin. The city noise was comforting. Why are you freaking out? He was just some nice guy who helped you up.
What did you expect? Him to be you’re prince charming. No! Well, not a prince. She
shook her head. You made a big deal out
of nothing. No reason to freak out. Now he probably thinks you’re rude for just
running out like that. Oh well! You’ll never see him again. It doesn’t matter
what he thinks. Eliza walked to the curb and waved for a taxi. The yellow
car pulled up and she opened the door and got in. She grabbed the door handle
and began to close it, but before the door shut a hand reached out and stopped.
“The taxi is already taken dude, get your own.” She looked up and there they
were. Those two curiously hazel eyes that made her stomach fill with
butterflies.
“I promise I’m not trying to steal
your cab.” Those pearly white teeth shone through a wide smile. Eliza’s face
reddened in embarrassment. Stupid,
stupid, stupid. “You dropped you’re I.D. on the stage.”
“Oh. I did. My bad. Thank you” She
grabbed the I.D. and their hands brushed against each other. She immediately
pulled her hand back and looked down. Stupid,
stupid, stupid. Stop being affected by this man. Just stop it. She took a
deep breath, and looked up back at him and smiled. See, you’re not affected by him. So what he’s kind of attractive, so
are tons of other people in the world. Maybe it was really nice and thoughtful
of him to bring my I.D., or to help me up, but I’m pretty sure someone else
would’ve done the same thing. Probably….not.
“No problem.” He looked behind him
and said something and then looked back at Eliza. “So I guess I’ll let you go.
Have fun with your friend.”
“Thanks. Bye.” He smiled and shut
the door softly. Eliza fell back into the seat and rested her head on the back.
She closed her eyes trying to recover from the encounter. I feel like an idiot. How could I act like such an idiot? I’m smart. I
promise. I’m also very sensible, and funny, and interesting. Ugh. This man
made her head spin. Well at least he
noticed me. That’s a positive. Granted I didn’t give him much to notice when he
started talking to me. Eliza gripped her I.D. It was nice of him to bring this to me. I don’t know if I would’ve done
the same for a stranger. She squeezed her eyes one more time and then
opened them. She looked down at her I.D. and something caught her eye. Stuck on
to the back of the I.D. was a small piece of paper. Eliza unfolded it and on
the paper was a set of numbers and a note that read “I wish we could’ve talked
more. Call me sometime.” Eliza’s faced tightened into a smile. He liked me. He liked me. Oh. My. Gosh. He
liked me!!!! She was so ecstatic. Her day was looking up. She even did a
little dance in the back seat.
*man clears throat* “Excuse me
miss, where would you like to go?” Eliza looked up and realized that the taxi
hadn’t moved. She looked out the window and Andrew and his friend were staring
at her through the window in a curious manner. Heat rushed to Eliza’s face.
“Anywhere. Just drive please!” Maybe he hasn’t changed his mind. Fingers
crossed.
No comments:
Post a Comment